With ECM/Zinc (La Friche de la Belle de Mai) and within the framework of the Biennial of Young Artists from the Mediterranean in Naples in 2005, Anne Le Batard and Jean-Antoine Bigot co-directed, with Marine Quiniou and the painter Magdi Habachi, a workshop questioning the body, multi-media and performance in associating artists, dancers, film producers and musicians on the theme of walking, of wandering through the town.
They worked again with the multi-media designer Marine Quiniou in Alexandrie, 2007, within the framework of the RAMI Encounters.
Ex nihilo also runs training sessions as well as longer courses for professional or amateur dancers and actors.
The training sessions are a gradual physical preparation which begins with exercises on the ground to warm up (waking muscles, centering, stretching) followed by exercises standing up which develop the strength of supports, the presence of the body in space and in relation to others. They all put the accent on:
• the particular physical and technical preparation necessary for dancing outside.
• contacts, supports, awareness, reactivity, listening, momentum.
The courses continue the technical work by placing the trainees directly in specific areas:
• the use of the environment.
• the relationship to space, volumes and objects.
• concentrating in the workshops on intentions, the origins of movement, improvisation.
The work is presented to the public at the end of each course.
For many years now the ex nihilo dancers run workshops either in the form of visual art activities or within the framework of UNSS Dance.
An introduction to the unique work of the company is given:
• the use of environment, of the object with regards to dance.
• work on listening to and being in contact with other people.
• work on rhythm.
• producing choreographies that bring together all these elements.
• communal workshops with the dancers of the company.
The workshops can take place inside schools, in assembly halls, gymnasiums, or libraries, for example, but whenever possible outdoors, in playgrounds.
Please contact ex nihilo if you wish to participate in one of these workshops.